Thursday, October 1, 2009

Couponing and Grocery Shopping

So how do you stretch a dollar when it comes to buying groceries for your family?  Today we met to discuss this topic and share our couponing strategies.  What a wonderful discussion!  Here are some of the hints and tips that were shared with the group today:

I shop every two weeks for groceries and miscellaneous household goods.  This helps keep me on budget and on prevents impulse purchases.  I have created a spreadsheet for the miscellaneous household items I frequently purchase for our family.  When I first created this document, I did it to find out if it was really cheaper to shop at Wal*Mart/Target/Walgreens/CVS.  I have attached a sample copy of my list below:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0As1SECST8md-dERVM0wxazJpaGk5TF81b2M3bzRUQVE&hl=en

Each biweekly period, I go through the house and determine which household items need replenished or replaced.  I delete the unnecessary items from the spreadsheet and then total up the columns to determine what it should cost to purchase those items prior to any coupons or rebates.  Now before you say it, yes, it took a little time investment to price out the items and, yes, you can subscribe to services that will do this for you.  I really found it beneficial to know how much a bottle of shampoo should cost.  In my opinion, it was a worthwhile learning experience.

Once I have my list together, I go online and to my coupon organizer to find coupons for the needed items. There are lots of wonderful coupon sites that have printable coupons.  Here are some of my favorites:

     http://www.coupons.com/
     http://www.afullcup.com/
     http://www.shortcuts.com/
     http://www.upromise.com/

Don't forget to check manufacturer's websites.  I find that sometimes the best way to find a coupon is to simply Google it.  Type "crest toothpaste coupon 2009" in the search box, and you will often find a printable coupon.

It is always best to plan your meals based on the grocery store weekly sales flyers.  They are published on Wednesdays in our local paper and by mail.  When an item you use often is on sale, stock up if you can.  Many products can be frozen to extend their shelf life.

Also, don't forget weekly specials in the Walgreens and CVS ads.  Many items will be free or extremely inexpensive if you can find a manufacturer's coupon to go along with those sales.  I only purchase items that my family will use or that I can donate to someone else.  I love the printable Walgreens and CVS lists available from http://www.couponmom.com/!  And last but not least, always be on the lookout for manufacturer rebates.  I love www.thefreebieblogger.com and www.couponing101.com for their online tips!

These are just a few of the tips shared today.  If you weren't able to join us this week, please join in next week when we will be talking about meal planning ideas.  Bring your favorite quick weeknight recipes, freezable recipes, or just plain ole' family favorites on an index card, recipe card or computer printout.  You can also post them here.  I'll be putting together a recipe book!

No comments:

Post a Comment